Best EV Charging Apps for Tesla : If you are the person who recently purchased your Tesla EV and now have a problem while searching for EV charging stations near you, then sit tight and don’t worry because this article is going to share a list of some of the best EV charging apps for Tesla.
What is an EV Charging App and Its Features
An EV charging app is designed to help you locate electric car charging stations in your area. If you’re someone who has purchased an EV and experiences range anxiety while traveling long distances, there’s no need to worry. You simply need to open your EV charging app and search for all available EV charging stations on your route. This way, you can plan your journey accordingly.
However, locating EV charging stations isn’t the only function these apps perform. Apart from this, there are many other things you can do with an EV charging app. Using an EV charging app, you can schedule charging at convenient times. Scheduling EV charging times can provide you with peace of mind regarding your EV’s charging status.
Another advantage or feature of using an EV charging app is that it collects data, insights, and statistics for you. Through the app, you can manage your energy costs and choose the best times for charging.
Using an EV charging app for your Tesla will also keep you informed with notifications and alerts. For example, you will be notified once your EV charging is completed. Additionally, if your charger is unplugged before the charging is completed for any reason, you will also receive a notification alert from the app. These are some of the features offered by EV charging apps.
Best EV Charging Apps for Tesla
The market is becoming saturated with multiple EV charging app brands, which is why many new Tesla EV buyers are getting confused when trying to find the best EV Charging App for Tesla. So, let’s take a look at the top 4 Best EV Charging Apps for Tesla available in the market and how you can efficiently use them.
Plugshare is one of the most popular EV charging apps for Tesla users. It claims to provide the most accurate map of EV and Tesla charging stations. Essentially, Plugshare is an EV driver community where drivers can contribute station reviews and photos for the benefit of all app users.
Plugshare offers the following features to its users:
- Filtering options for connector type, charging speed, and amenities such as food or bathrooms.
- The ability to check station functionality and current availability.
- Convenient linking to your preferred navigation app for directions to your selected charger.
- The option to pay for charging with “Pay with PlugShare” (available at participating locations) and monitor your charging session.
- The capability to add new charging stations to the map as you discover them.
- Notifications when a new charger is installed nearby.
- Compatibility with Android Auto, allowing you to browse nearby charging locations, bookmarked locations, and trips you’ve planned directly from the built-in display of compatible vehicles.
Plugshare can be a valuable tool for Tesla drivers searching for EV charging stations, including those compatible with Tesla Model X, Tesla Model Y, and Tesla Model 3. It boasts more than 1 million downloads on the Play Store and has received a rating of 4.7 stars from 29.1k reviews.
ChargePoint is another popular and globally leading EV charging network. Currently, it boasts more than 226,000 activated ports, with 400,000 accessible for roaming worldwide. ChargePoint provides a map that allows you to see real-time availability of EV charging stations. You can charge your Tesla EV either by using a ChargePoint card or through the mobile app, which also offers real-time updates about your charging status.
ChargePoint offers filtration options for EV charging stations, allowing you to filter for AC or DC fast chargers. When driving your Tesla, you can set the filter to display only stations compatible with your car model.
If a station is currently in use, you have the option to add yourself to a waitlist using the application. It will notify you when it’s your turn to charge. In addition to these features, ChargePoint provides many more benefits to its users. Currently, ChargePoint has garnered over 1 million downloads on the Play Store and holds a rating of 4.4 stars from 29.5K reviews. Considering these statistics, it can be considered one of the best EV charging apps for your Tesla.
- Electrify America
Electrify America is a relatively new EV charging app that was launched on May 22, 2019. It offers access to the largest public fast charging network in the United States. With this app, you can easily find an Electrify America charging station, obtain directions from your current location to a selected charging station, and take advantage of two membership options: Pass and Pass+.
By signing up for a free Electrify America Pass membership, you can:
- Check the availability of charging stations.
- View charger details and save your preferred charging stations.
- Initiate and stop your charging session right from your phone.
- Easily track your charging status while you shop or dine nearby.
- Receive notifications when your compatible EV reaches your desired state of charge.
- Make contact-free payments directly from your phone.
- Access your charge history and email a receipt for your records.
Electrify America is compatible with various Tesla models, including the Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, and Tesla Model Y.
- Tesla App
The official Tesla app enables direct communication between owners and their vehicles. If you own a Tesla, the Tesla official app is an excellent choice for you. It comes equipped with all the necessary features you’d expect from an EV charging app.
Here are some of the features that this app provides to its users:
- Monitor charging progress in real-time and initiate or terminate charging.
- Precondition your car by heating or cooling it before driving, even if it’s parked in a garage.
- Lock or unlock your vehicle remotely.
- Find your vehicle using directions or track its movements.
- Send an address from your favorite apps to start navigation in your car.
- Allow passengers to control media quickly.
- Use the flashlights or honk the horn to locate your parked vehicle.
- Vent or close the panoramic roof.
- Summon your vehicle from your garage or tight parking space (available for vehicles with Autopilot).
- Update your vehicle’s software from anywhere.
- Monitor your Powerwall to track energy storage, solar production, home energy usage, or grid export.
- Download data on your solar production and battery usage.
The Tesla app has over 1 million downloads but has received a rating of 3.8 stars from 32.4k reviews. Some users have reported issues with the app, such as slow loading, difficulty finding charging stations, and occasional crashes. These issues have led to frustrating experiences for some users, which might explain the lower rating.
So here is the list of the Best EV Charging Apps for Tesla. You can choose the application that suits your needs. Just consider a few things before selecting the app: What features are important to you? Does the app cover the areas where you typically drive? Is the app easy to use and navigate? Is the app free, or does it require a subscription? These are some points you can consider before choosing the EV charging app for your Tesla.
Mohit is an electrical engineer who loves to gather information about electrical vehicles and EV-related technologies. Mohit has also worked for companies such as Ford and TATA Motors for two and half years. Through this blog, he shares all the important information related to electric vehicles and the new upcoming technologies in the field of EVs. INSTA